Trying to bring a little common sense to the game of baseball. But considering many of the people who read baseball blogs, I'm probably just pissing into the wind.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baseball writes the songs that makes the whole world sing

Since I don’t write about the games, the day-to-day stuff, or much of the off-field activities, it’s hard at times to find something to write about. I actually spend a lot of time thinking of different ideas, many of which are rejected right away as not being worth the time, or not really a good idea after all.

So I’m constantly thinking of something to write about, and things just pop in and out of my head while going through everyday activities. For example, the other day, while walking down the street to pick up my laundry, I was kind of singing (in my head, not out loud, although I’ve been known to do that) different songs, or snippets of songs.

Music is great, and baseball is usually on my mind a lot of days, but less now that I don’t have girlfriend at the moment. So I thought, kind of like an epiphany, but not quite, how could I combine the two? Baseball and music, music and baseball. What a combination. So the idea immediately popped into my head about what song fit each baseball team.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the first guy to have this idea, and I’m not trying to rip anyone off, but this is kind of the same thing as power rankings and top-10 lists. I don’t think anyone has copyrighted them, so I’m going to go ahead and do it.

The idea behind this is simple. A lot of it is, what song popped into my head while I was thinking about a certain team. For some, it was pretty easy. With others it took a little bit of time to find one that I thought fit the team. When I say fitting the team, it’s hard to describe. Some of them will be obvious, while others might seem a little mysterious, particularly if you don’t know the song. They just seem to be songs that fit, or in some occasions, the title of a song that fits. But shouldn’t the title of a song be a fair representation of that song?

A note here is that it’s not really about the lyrics of the song, but what the song represents, or the ‘theme’ of the song, for lack of a better explanation.

One thing to remember, this is my list only, and won’t agree with anyone else’s perception. But that’s okay, because you can do your own list. Anyhow, here it is:



New York Yankees --- You’re So Vain

This one was actually pretty easy. It came to me right away. To be fair, this might describe the fans more than the team.


Boston Red Sox --- Money

I think this one fits. A lot of people would pick this for the Yankees, but they already have one.


Baltimore Orioles --- Road To Nowhere

Peter Angelos is doing to baseball in Baltimore what Ty Cobb did to segregation.


Toronto Blue Jays --- In A Big Country

You try finding a song about Canada. I know there might be an obvious choice that I’m overlooking, but it didn’t really fit.


Tampa Bay Rays --- Shooting Star

I actually thought of this before Manny was Manny, but it still fits without him.


Minnesota Twins --- The Great Pretender

This will change once they get to the Series. You get a choice of two here.


Detroit Tigers --- The Lion Sleeps Tonight

If fits. You know it does. Admit it.


Cleveland Indians --- Rock And Roll Heaven

You know, the Hall of Fame? The teams of yesteryear and the glory days? Work with me.


Chicago White Sox --- The Night Chicago Died

Somehow, I just see Al taking batting practice with Ozzie standing by.


Kansas City Royals --- Just My Imagination

This is actually the song I was thinking (singing) about when I got the idea for this. Has it really been 25 years?


Oakland Athletics --- Kung Fu Fighting

Again, one of those that might reflect more on the fans than the team, but isn’t it really the same?


Los Angeles Angles --- One Is The Loneliest Number

You know, one World Series, and no more on the horizon.


Texas Rangers --- Friends In Low Places

Who thought they were going to the Series, and they still don’t get a lot of respect. I think Nolan would approve.


Seattle Mariners --- Man Of Constant Sorrow

I probably don’t need to explain this one.


Philadelphia Phillies --- What A Wonderful World

Yeah, I’m being sarcastic. I don’t care.


Atlanta Braves --- Running Down A Dream

Still chasing it after all these years. They’re there every year, but just can’t quite make it all the way. 


Florida Marlins --- Immigrant Song

I don’t know, it just seems to fit somehow, but this is kind of a fill-in. Again, maybe more about the fans.

New York Mets --- Gypsies, Tramps And Thieves

Yeah, I’m a smartass. This one came to me right away. Mets fans needs to have a sense of humor.


Washington Nationals --- The Cheap Seats

I used to live in DC. I loved it. But there is an inferiority complex about the whole place.


St Louis Cardinals --- Leader Of The Band

Because it’s all about Tony.


Cincinnati Reds --- It’s Yesterday Once More

Trying to get back to the glory years.


Houston Astros --- How Far Is Heaven

For Astros fans, it’s a long, long way away.



My mission in life is to piss off as many Cubs fans as humanly possible. “All that’s been found is debris”


Milwaukee Brewers --- Heartbreaker

Because they just keep teasing their fan base year after year.


Pittsburgh Pirates --- Help!

The team that needs that no explanation.


San Francisco Giants --- Good Year For The Roses

Congratulations to the champions. Two choices here also. Check them both out. You’ll like them.


Los Angeles Dodgers --- Country Boy

Don’t you get the feeling most of those guys would rather be anyplace else?


Colorado Rockies --- Climb Every Mountain

Yeah, I’m stretching here. Help me out. They’re still looking for their trip to the top.


Arizona Diamondbacks --- The Cowboy Rides Away

Because none of them will be staying long


San Diego Padres --- A Little Bit Is Better Than Nada

Yeah, it’s a stretch. They’ve been there twice, which is more than some teams have, so they should be happy about it.


2 comments:

  1. You tease me with some Manilow in the blog title and you ignore him in the post??
    The Yankees song is obviously "Can't Smile Without You"

    Kevin
    (A Fanilow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, c'mon. After starting with 'The Barry', what else could I possibly do as a follow-up that would have given him proper respect?

    ReplyDelete